Friday, May 20, 2011

Food Friday ::: Mom's Strawberry Pie

Mom's Strawberry Pie

This is our go-to recipe for my Mom's birthday - a strawberry pie she discovered in a church cookbook many years ago. This is a recipe that is practically impossible for me to mess up (unlike my Grandma's coconut creme pie recipe that I butchered last weekend. The meringue did me in).

The secret (my mom swears) is the 7-up/cornstarch that makes the gel that firms up the pie. I have to confess that I used sprite to make my pie, but it doesn't really matter as long as it's a lemon-lime soda and NOT diet.

Hope you all have a wonderful weekend!

3 comments:

  1. Sounds great! (And fairly easy, which is good for me, a mostly non-pie baker.) Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Huh!

    Ca you use frozen strawberries?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hmm. I've never tried it, but I'm not sure that I would unless you has set them out to thaw completely before using them. I think if you made the pie with them while they were still frozen, the water from melting would dilute the cornstarch/sprite mixture and make it runny instead of firming it up. That would be nice though - then I could make this year round! : )

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting!

One of my goals this year has been to diversify my reading. As I've spent the last 17 years homeschooling anywhere from 1-4 kids, I woul...