Thursday, June 10, 2010

Book Review ::: 6 Liter Club

The Six-Liter Club: A Novel

Dr. Camille Weller is the first African American female attending in the trauma surgical department at the Medical College of Virginia (where Kraus earned his M.D.). On her first day, she joins the Six-Liter Club - a reference to an elite group of doctors who have saved a patient after the patient loses six-liters of blood. Exhilarated, she decides to do something about the antiquated "doctors" and "nurses" signs on the locker room doors and changes clothes with the "doctors." She'll also blow their prejudices about skin color out of the water. Yet Camille has far more to overcome than preconceived notions about her skin color or sex...she's having nightmares about her childhood in the Congo, a dark closet, whispered words, and strong arms holding her back.

My review: I've read several of Dr. Kraus' books before. Past books seemed to center more around ethical medical questions and how a believer would walk in those situations with a good mystery to get wrapped in along the way. This book was centered around a female surgeon who is trying to find her place in what is typically a man's arena, and in the process she is confronted with memories from her past and what that means for her future. I admit, I was looking for more of a medical mystery like some of his past novels so this one was just all right for me. Thank you to Glass Road Publications for the review copy of this book.

1 comment:

  1. It is always interesting to sort of peek inside arenas that we don't know much about -- like medicine.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting!

One of my goals this year has been to diversify my reading. As I've spent the last 17 years homeschooling anywhere from 1-4 kids, I woul...