Friday, November 13, 2015

#NaNoReadMo

I've been having fun on Instagram participating in a fun bookish challenge from Modern Mrs. Darcy. November is apparently NaNoWriMo month - a month in which inspiring authors are challenged to take up their pens (or keyboards) and write on a novel for a month straight. Concurrently, there was a challenge issued to post a picture of a novel every day for the month of November with the hashtag #NaNoReadMo. Now that I can do! I've had a blast combing my shelves and pulling out favorite books - some that I have probably mentioned on the blog or to friends a hundred times. Others may be obscure childhood favorites that I've forgotten about until just such a challenge as this one that makes me sit of take notice of them once again.

I started the challenge about three days late, but I thought I would share my first seven novels that I posted via Instagram. (If you are on there, you can follow me at @mrs_stephanie.shepherd).

Untitled

11.4.2015 // The First Four Years by Laura Ingalls Wilder //

New read aloud started today. I've managed to put off reading this one for at least a year! This closes the chapter of reading this series out-loud to the girls ... but on the bright side, I get to read it all over with the boy! 

Untitled

11.5.2015 // The Austin Family Chronicles by Madeleine L'Engle //

This is one of those book series that I didn't discover until I was adult and I momentarily suffered that I missed out on many years of reading and re-reading these books! I had no idea that Madeleine L'Engle had written anything beyond A Wrinkle in Time and I have thoroughly enjoyed my time with the Austin family and can't wait until my girls are old enough for this series.

The Incorrigible Children of Ashton Place series // One of the best kids' series I've read in my quest to find good stuff for my kids. Quirky characters, orphans raised by wolves, delicious dialogue ... fun for mama and munchkins to read. It would make a

11.6.2015 // The Incorrigible Children of Ashton Place series by Mary Rose Wood //

One of the best kids' series I've read in my quest to find good stuff for my kids. Quirky characters, orphans raised by wolves, delicious dialogue ... fun for mama and munchkins to read. It would make a great read aloud for any age and an independent read for 9(ish) and up.

Village School by Miss Read // If you love Mitford or stories set in quaint English villages, you will love Miss Read. She is a spinster school teacher in a small town in England and personalities and characters abound. There are quite a few books in the

11.7.2015 // Village School by Miss Read //

If you love Mitford or stories set in quaint English villages, you will love Miss Read. She is a spinster school teacher in a small town in England and personalities and characters abound. There are quite a few books in the series and it is perfect for winter weather / cozy reading especially if you have hot tea and perhaps some biscuits and jam nearby.

Untitled

11.8.2015 // Inkheart by Cornelia Funke //

This book about the power of a story (and its storyteller) was utterly spellbinding the first time I read it. There are two more books in the series but the first book is magical. (The movie version isn't half bad either but read the book first). And fantastical fantasy story for 9ish and up independently or a read aloud for almost any age.

Untitled

11.9.2015 // Christy and Julie by Catherine Marshall //

Two of the books that challenged and encouraged me in high school. Christy is the biographical novel of Catherine Marshall's mother as a young 19 year old teaching in the rural Appalachian Mountains. Julie is her own autobiographical novel as a young girl learning her writing voice and what she is passionate about in the midst of a great tragedy in her community. Highly highly recommend if you have teen girls that love to read and haven't discovered these gems.

Nancy Drew by Carolyn Keene // One of my goals as a child was to collect all the original hardback Nancy Drew books; I finished sometime in high school. Still hoping that one of my three girls falls in love with the teenage auburn haired super sleuth. :fl

11.10.2015 // Nancy Drew by Carolyn Keene //

One of my goals as a child was to collect all the original hardback Nancy Drew books; I finished sometime in high school. Still hoping that one of my three girls falls in love with the teenage auburn haired super sleuth.

Jane of Lantern Hill by L.M. Montgomery // one of her less known works but my favorite for introducing my girls to the author of Anne. Jane is a young girl who lives with her horridly strict grandmother and her mother, believing that her father is dead. W

11.11.2015 // Jane of Lantern Hill by L.M. Montgomery //

One of her less known works but my favorite for introducing my girls to the author of Anne. Jane is a young girl who lives with her horridly strict grandmother and her mother, believing that her father is dead. When lo and behold, a letter from him arrives! Jane is one of my favorite characters of all time and it's a shame if you miss reading about her.

Papa's Wife by Thyra Ferre Bjorn // A story about a young 18 year old girl who becomes the housekeeper to a Swedish pastor, marries him, and has a handful of children. One that I fondly remember reading as a teen and haven't picked up in years! I just rem

11.12.2015 // Papa's Wife by Thyra Ferre Bjorn //

A story about a young 18 year old girl who becomes the housekeeper to a Swedish pastor, marries him, and has a handful of children. One that I fondly remember reading as a teen and haven't picked up in years! I just remember the lessons I learned in faith and loving a family well.

Happy reading!

1 comment:

  1. I loved Bjorn's books! :-)

    Love the idea of this posting of the book covers, but I don't think it's worth it to get me involved in another social media time drain. ;-)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting!

One of my goals this year has been to diversify my reading. As I've spent the last 17 years homeschooling anywhere from 1-4 kids, I woul...