Thursday, November 19, 2015

Rebooting Dinner

I have gotten into a massive dinnertime run around these parts - making the same meals over and over and over again. A few weeks ago I asked for some dinner suggestions and when I got several of the same comments - "I'm so tired of tacos!"; "Can you never make _____ again?" - I laughed. : ) Really, I wasn't hurt. I was tired of our taco Tuesdays and the quick turkey kielbasa meal I make before Awana or on soccer nights. There are no shortage of meals that I want to try and add into our rotation. It's just all to easy for me to get lazy in the kitchen because I'm tired by the time I need to get started on dinner! All that to say, we've found a few winners in the last couple weeks and I want to remember that these got a good response from (most of) the family.

Just did a taste test of @thepioneerwoman Salisbury steak and gravy. Oh my yum.

Pioneer Woman Salisbury steak - husband approved and super yum.

Life as Mom cheese enchiladas - (no photo) super easy meatless main dish. And bonus - the recipe makes enough for TWO 9x13 pans so I served our family one and popped the other into the freezer for a meal for friends awaiting the arrival of a baby. So good. I pretty much ate all the leftovers of this by myself and didn't share.

Last night's leftovers. I might have rushed a little to get to these before anyone else.

Pioneer Woman's Chickpea Curry with Rice - so good! I actually made this with chicken instead of chick peas but her sauce was what sealed it for me.

Confession: you know how Facebook now has all these 1 minute recipe videos? I watch them. And tonight I made one. Mozzarella stuffed meatballs recommended by @megduerksen. 👍👍

Mozzarella Stuffed Meatballs - I don't know if you have noticed all the 1-minute food / recipe videos that are on facebook now, but I tend to watch them all. And then I made this one. Another winner. Bonus - it's a crockpot meal that I whipped up after lunch and let cook for the afternoon and it was delicious.

After these meat heavy dishes, I need a few salad nights, but my husband was sure happy! I have a split pea soup that I want to try (which will be just for me as no one else here cares for it) as well as a lemon orzo chicken soup that sounds delicious. I have also saved several cranberry recipes because it's the season. And after posting all these yummy meals, I feel like I need to make a full disclosure that I've promised the kids frozen taquitos for dinner since Daddy won't be here for dinner. Real life dinner planning here. : )

2 comments:

  1. At least you are cooking. Me? I've gotten into the bad, bad habit of picking something up on the way home. Granted, depending on what I get, it's several meals' worth (one order of chicken subgum and eggrolls is easily three meals), but still....I took out chicken legs to make PW's Spicy Chicken Legs tonight. Minimal prep, and a dozen legs is 5 - 6 meals, depending on if it is lunch or dinner. You reminded me that I love Salisbury steak, and have all the ingredients at home at the moment. Snow predicted for Friday night to Saturday - SS is the perfect snowy weather meal.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hear you, friend! I'm in a rut in every area of my life! 😩

    I'd love to see your cranberry recipes!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting!

One of my goals this year has been to diversify my reading. As I've spent the last 17 years homeschooling anywhere from 1-4 kids, I woul...