Thursday, September 23, 2010

Read Aloud Thursday ::: Late September Edition


Seems my goal is to make a Read-Aloud Thursday post about once a month. : ) We are reading ... mostly working our way through our current chapter book, sprinkled with a helping of the Children's Story Bible and our Awana workbooks. We're working through a few books for social studies, too, but I'm trying to wait until we've finished to blog them. However, in the meantime, a little read-aloud update!

Farmer Boy (Little House)

Yesterday we finished our first chapter read-aloud of the school year ... Farmer Boy. This is one of my favorites and we all enjoyed reading about Almanzo's chores and adventures as he worked alongside his father on their family farm. Those farmers sure put in some long days as did the wives. However, I loved the reminder (for me) that while their lives were very busy - their sustenance came from the work of their hands - they were happy, grateful and thankful for how much they were blessed. Some of the technical farming descriptions were a little over the girls' heads, but all-in-all this was a crowd pleaser. And, I would be remiss if I didn't mention how much I love the foodie descriptions throughout the book. Reading this book always makes me hungry! : )

Mercy Watson to the Rescue

Also, thanks to a recommendation from Amy, I believe, we recently read-aloud Mercy Watson to the Rescue by Kate DiCamillo.This story also got two-thumbs up from my girls as we read about Mr. and Mrs. Watson and their unorthodox pet, Mercy. These books are short, easy chapter books that Noelle has flown through, and the illustrations are super-cute - Natalie (4yo) has been known to sneak off with these and pour over the pictures. : )

Today's project (along with the rest of our schooling) is to pick a new chapter book to start. The girls have suggested Alice's Adventures in Wonderland and Through the Looking-Glass which I haven't read. It looks a little intimidating to me right now, with just a few weeks left until baby brother arrives. They have also suggested continuing on with the Little House series (I think we are up to By the Shores of Silver Lake) so that's also a possibility. Such are our projects today!

For more suggestions and posts on reading aloud, head over to Hope is the Word.

3 comments:

  1. I'm averaging a once a month post as well! Goodness.

    Oh, I'm glad to know that you like Mercy Watson as well and thank you for the reminder of it! I was looking at them at one point wondering if they'd make a good "starter chapter book" for Bookworm1, who is currently complaining that chapter books are too long.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We love Farmer Boy at our house. When my kids start complaining about their chores I remind them it could be worse. They could have to work like Almanzo. That takes care of the complaining for a little while at least.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I posted a long comment this morning and my computer promptly ate it. :-(

    I think I said something like this. . .

    We love Farmer Boy. I agree that the food descriptions are the best! I'm always hungry after I spend time with the Wilders!

    I've yet to convince Lulu to read Mercy Watson, but we've enjoyed listening to those tales in audiobook. Thanks for the link! :-)

    Thanks for linking up to Read Aloud Thursday, Stephanie. YOu're welcome to join in as often as you like, even if it is monthly! ;-) :-)

    I hope you're doing well these days!

    (Oh, and you totally inspired me to make oatmeal raisin cookies last night after I saw your WW post!)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting!

One of my goals this year has been to diversify my reading. As I've spent the last 17 years homeschooling anywhere from 1-4 kids, I woul...