Wednesday, January 22, 2014

2013 Family Movie Night, Listed

12'25'2013iPd

For the past two years, I've tucked a sheet of notebook paper inside my planner and have kept a list of what we have watched for our Friday family movie night. This event (FMN for short) is a Big Deal. Each child (and adult) gets a turn picking the movie of choice and everyone else watches with (very little) complaint. (Though I admit to a quiet sigh at the second viewing of a certain American Girl movie). : ) 

We try to keep movies and video to a minimum during the school week and for the most part I stick to my guns on this. We won't discuss my laxness during our recent Christmas break. Ahem. This makes our Friday night fun something that we all look forward to. Anyway, our routine is to have pizza and some kind of sweet treat on Friday night and we rotate who gets to pick our movie. There is plotting, planning and much secrecy as your movie night approaches! The guessing of someone's pick is half the fun. And it's always fun to go back over the list and remember how we spent our Friday nights the last year. In our pjs, eating pizza, hanging out under afghans and blankets and relaxing together at the end of the week.

Here's what we watched in 2013. Please note: this is just the list. I'm not going to give any kind of rating (although if you want an opinion on something you are welcome to ask). There are always a few duds that we come across in our viewing. (And by duds, I mean they are generally - in our opinion - just not worth rewatching. We're pretty careful about what we put on to start with as far as it being appropriate for all the kids).

Where the Red Fern Grows
The Lorax
Finding Nemo
Ice Age: Dawn of the Dinosaur
McKenna, American Girl Movie
The Last Airbender
Megamind
The Odd Life of Timothy Green
The Princess Bride
Wreck-It Ralph
Despicable Me
Spy Kids 3: Game Over
Home Alone
Avengers
Pirates of the Carribean
Winnie the Pooh
Journey to the Center of the Earth 2: The Mysterious Island
Wild Stallions
The Fellowship of the Ring
Ratatoille
How to Train Your Dragon
Cloudy With a Chance of Meatballs
Sky High
Prince Caspian
Kung Fu Panda 2
Cars 2
Disney's Robin Hood (cartoon)
Evan Almighty
Hook
Legends of Ga'Hoole
The Croods
Turbo
Cars
Cats and Dogs
Despicable Me 2

I've already started our list for 2014. Any good movies that you would suggest for Family Movie Night? 

 photo ListswithFriendsBlue_zps3dfee69b.jpg

This post is part of a list-making project called Lists With Friends 2014, an effort to document the year in lists of all types. I love lists and am excited to be taking part of this fun project. : )

6 comments:

  1. ooo! tell me more about "Lists With Friends", please!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sent you an email. : )

      Delete
    2. Me, too, I am interested in this Lists with Friends project!

      Delete
  2. All the old, original Disney classics: Parent Trap, Pollyanna, the Herbie movies, etc.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We have watched several of those and need to revisit them! Parent Trap was my absolute FAVORITE movie growing up. : )

      Delete
  3. I've been looking forward to finding a quiet moment to catch up with you and your blog. One of the posts I saw float through that I was curious to read was this one. I really like this idea of the family movie night. We watch tv very sparingly ourselves although I do rely on it to help me out in pinches. (When we're all sick there is an excessive - in my opinion - amount of movie viewing.) But when we're well then we try to stay away from movies.

    I REALLY like the idea of letting people take turns picking and having that one family night a week that you just relax as a family and do something fun like this. I'm pulling out my calendar at the end of leaving this comment and choosing a day.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting!

One of my goals this year has been to diversify my reading. As I've spent the last 17 years homeschooling anywhere from 1-4 kids, I woul...