Tuesday, January 07, 2014

It's Not the Holidays Anymore

1'06'2014b1'06'2014a1'07'2014e1'06'2014c

January brings with it the return to a regular schedule of sorts. It also brought extremely cold temperatures this week. Like many, we have had uncharacteristically cold days (single digit temperatures) that have made it hard to return to the books. Not like the normal snow days where there is the cry to play outside with the neighbors and build snowmen - no, it's been far too cold for that. Even when bundled as tightly as possible the girls were only able to manage a few minutes outside before coming back in for hot chocolate. Myself, I have spent the last few days trying to stay warm and drinking unheard of amounts of hot coffee and hot tea.

We are slowly returning to our school day schedule. Yesterday there was quite a bit of reading aloud to get us in the right frame of mind. We finally finished book 1 in Little Women - our pre-Christmas read-aloud - and will be taking a breather before starting book 2. Today saw the return of math for everyone (always a sign that school is in session) and a library trip to pick up holds and replenish our reading shelf.

I am also trying to get back into a "it is not the holidays anymore" frame of mind in many different areas. The carbs have disappeared off my plate for the most part and lots of winter veggies are being roasted in the oven. Today's lunch looked so pretty in the sunlight on the table that I had to take a picture. (I admit it. I like to photograph my food. I can't help myself). : ) Early morning outings to get my running in before little people awake are back on the schedule. Social media check-ins are dwindling down each day as the time wasted spent is now being redeemed in other areas. (I'm planning an extended break from Facebook for the next several months - I find it's hard to be intentional about relationships there and it generally leaves me feeling ruffled and not at all like I've caught up with anyone. I'm learning that my introverted self, the one that avoids conflict like the plague, doesn't handle it well. Instagram is by and large my favorite place for capturing moments and memories and if you are inclined, you can find me there.)

I'm looking forward to a January filled with some returning activities as well as some intentional pauses to hibernate and rest during this winter season. Winter may be my favorite time of all for just that very reason.

6 comments:

  1. So, what was your lunch?! It looks amazing! Brussel sprouts? and sausage?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Brussels with a chicken sausage (I think it was the mozzarella/fajita flavor?) and parmesan cheese sprinkled over top. Everything is better with parmesan. I just pan-roasted it on the stove while I made the kids lunch and fed them. : ) And cuties. Because we are eating our weight in them right now.

      Delete
  2. Your lunch looks delicious! You inspire me. It has been C.O.L.D. here, too. I've cut way, way back on FB, too, and I like it. Think I'd get off all together if I could figure out a way to communicate with some folks easily.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That makes it hard. I've also got our church's fb page tied to my account and part of my job is to update it so there is that wrinkle as well. Just being on it less so far has been so nice!

      Delete
  3. "I'm planning an extended break from Facebook for the next several months - I find it's hard to be intentional about relationships there and it generally leaves me feeling ruffled and not at all like I've caught up with anyone. I'm learning that my introverted self, the one that avoids conflict like the plague, doesn't handle it well." That's it! Yep! I didn't know how to word it exactly, but I completely understand what you're saying and feel like that's part of what's going on in my head as well!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Truthfully, I had some clarity on the words myself from reading someone else's thoughts that expressed what I was trying to say! I think there are lots of us that feel this way, and I forget that FB isn't something that I HAVE to do like it's my job. : )

      Delete

Thanks for commenting!

One of my goals this year has been to diversify my reading. As I've spent the last 17 years homeschooling anywhere from 1-4 kids, I woul...