Wednesday, January 29, 2014

Read-Aloud Thursday :: Julie of the Wolves by Jean Craighead George

We recently finished our first read-loud for 2014. I picked this one because it had been languishing on my Kindle for a while and I thought it would tie in nicely with the cold, winter weather. Little did I know how much a book about life in the Arctic Circle would fit with our current temps! Ha!

We finished our first read aloud of 2014 today. We LOVED it (with a little editing as I read).

Julie of the Wolves by Jean Craighead George is a fantastic book. It tells the story of Julie, a 13 year old girl who is trying to stay alive in the Arctic after she has run away from her husband. (Yes, husband.) Julie was raised by her father, Kapugen, after the death of her mother, and lived alone with him until an aunt and the government come and tell them that Julie must go to school. Julie goes to live with her aunt and later receives word that her father is lost at sea after hunting. Plans had been put in place before her father's death that if Julie was not happy living with her aunt and going to school, she could decide to be married to the son of her father's close friend. This decision is made, but it turns out to be an unfortunate one for Julie. Shortly after her marriage, she runs away and is bound for the coast of Alaska where she can catch a boat and get to San Francisco where her pen pal Amy lives. This is what keeps her going as she is living during the long Alaskan winter in a hut that she has constructed out of skins when it is dark for 24-hours a day. She survives using knowledge her Eskimo father taught her and through befriending and becoming part of a wolf pack. She is able to develop relationships with the pack - specifically the leader Amaroq and one of the pups, Kapu - and learns in her fumbling way to communicate with them.

This book is a treasure trove of information on arctic animal life, weather, and the lifestyle of the Eskimo. I could have easily made this a huge unit study for the girls and we could have done a ton of research and additional reading from picture and non-fiction books to supplement this. Most reading times had lots of interruptions as we discussed what different animals in the books were, why Julie did what she did when she cleaned animals for food, breaking to look at our map and find where Alaska and San Francisco were in relation to each other. And all this doesn't even touch on the time that Julie spent living in close proximity to a wolf pack which the book goes into great detail on.

A note of forewarning: there was one section of the book that I deliberately skipped over involving Julie's marriage. She moves to live with her new "in-law's" and the book described the alcoholic abusive nature of her new father-in-law and eventually, her new husband's abuse of her. I'll leave the description at that. We skipped completely over this part of the story, only reading the parts about what life was like for Julie as she lived in a small Alaskan town. These are issues that I'm not ready to tackle with my girls and it was easy to move seamlessly back to where Julie lived with the wolves without losing any of the story.

Minus that one section which I'd encourage the parent to make their own judgment whether or not to share with their kids, I highly recommend this book. The animal life, flora and fauna of the Arctic, and Julie's determination to survive and thrive in these conditions make this an excellent read-aloud and discussion book.

I'll leave you with a very cool picture that my Dad emailed me last week! He and my mom (newly retired) were wandering their way across the U.S., headed towards Yellowstone National Park for some winter photography. He snapped this photo in South Dakota (I believe) and we were so excited that it arrived right as we were reading this cool book on wolves. Alas, it is a coyote ... but still a cool shot. : )

_DSC2614

For more great read-alouds, visit my friend Amy at Hope is the Word. I'm linking up with her!

5 comments:

  1. Wow! What a great write-up, Stephanie! I haven't read this one, but it's on my radar (& maybe on my Classics Club list?). Somehow I missed this one & Island of the Blue Dolphins as a kid, probably because I wasn't interested in Native Americans, etc. Thanks for the content note, too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought I had read this as a child, but it did not ring any bells for me as I read it (and especially not remembering the part I edited!) So very good!

      Delete
  2. I remember hearing at least part of this book as an audiobook when I was a young teen. I think I might appreciate it more now, based on your review. Thanks for sharing it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. My older girls have read this one. It is the perfect time to read it!! Thanks for sharing your thoughts.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've never read this one. And I don't really know why, exactly. Except maybe it has something to do with the fact that it's always prefaced with, "Just so ya know...she's 13 and she's running away from her HUSBAND" and I'm always left with the impression that the book is WeIrD and so I go on sort of ignoring it. It does sound like one you'd want to preview at any rate!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting!

One of my goals this year has been to diversify my reading. As I've spent the last 17 years homeschooling anywhere from 1-4 kids, I woul...