Tuesday, February 24, 2015

Reading Report :: February 2015

Untitled

Reading in the winter is just the best. There are very few other (outside) demands on my time, and there's nothing much better than climbing into bed, almost immediately after I've tucked kids in bed, with my own book.

What I tackled this month:
  • The Story Girl by L.M. Montgomery (read-aloud), blogged
  • The Voyages of Doctor Dolittle by Hugh Lofting, blogged
  • The Love Song of Ms Queenie Hennessy (skimmed) by Rachel Joyce - didn't love this one. I mentioned that I was sent this one for a review and again, language made me want to put this one down.
  • Bliss by Katheryn Littlewood, recommend to me the girls by our friends the Dillows so I snatched up a used copy and sped through it. Sweet, magical and involving baking. It was a great one to snuggle up with!
  • Women of the Word by Jen Wilkin (reread), one I read last year and recommended. Worth taking the time with it again.
  • The Fringe Hours by Jessica Turner. I feel like I want to say more on this book in another post. This was one of those books that kept popping up EVERYWHERE I turned. Seriously, everywhere. Every blog I read reviewed it (some that surprised me), it was all over instagram as folks showed off their copies arriving. Just everywhere. Apparently I needed the message and I've already gone out and bought a copy for a friend. So yes, I think (I hope) I will come back and journal some here on this book.
Coming up in March:

My Friday night. I am about 1/3 of the way through this book so far and it's pretty fascinating.
  • Better than Before by Gretchen Rubin. Another review book, but I'm about half-way through it and it is fascinating.
  • The Pursuit of God by A.W. Tozer for the March Reading to Know bookclub. I totally wimped and bailed out on February's book (Heart of Darkness by Joseph Conrad. Just a couple paragraphs told me that I was not going to put forth my best effort on that one!) But Tozer has been on my list to read for just FOREVER so I really, really, really plan to read this one. Really.
  • my book for Amy's Newbery read-aloud. (I got stuck on my little non-fiction jag as February ended but I'm not giving up on these Newbery books!) 
Happy reading, indeed.

2 comments:

  1. The Fringe Hours--huh! Intrigued. . .I had never heard of it! I guess we aren't reading the same blogs! ha!

    I could read Women of the Word again also--it was good!

    And I'm glad you've also been wanting to read Tozer forever--I'm counting on the bookclub to hold me accountable to actuall get to it! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I enjoyed The Happiness Project and would like to read Rubin's new book! I look forward to your review.

    I'm not a bandwagon jumper, but I'm a wee bit interested in Fringe Hours, though soomething tells me I already "get" this message. ;-)

    I'm hoping to read Tozer, too.

    I NEED to read Wilkin. I have the book because I won it on Carrie's blog, but it's languishing on the shelf. :-(

    I received some happy mail today! (And I blogged about it!) Thank you, sweet friend.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting!

One of my goals this year has been to diversify my reading. As I've spent the last 17 years homeschooling anywhere from 1-4 kids, I woul...