Thursday, January 03, 2013

Wrapping up 2012 in Books

Sixty-two books. The grand total of books that I finished (or came very close to finishing) in 2012. Considering I had a couple of months where I did well to finish one book, that’s not too shabby. You can find the whole list of my 2012 reads here as well as what I highlighted as the best of the year.

My December goals were:
  • A Christmas Carol by Charles Dickens. I finished this for the December 2012 selection of the Reading to Know bookclub and thoroughly enjoyed it. I spent several evenings at the beginning of the month under the afghan, munching on homemade chex mix and reading Dickens. Thanks Carrie, for challenging me to check this classic off my list.
Afghan + Dickens + homemade chex mix.
  • The Fruitful Wife: Cultivating a Love Only God Can Produce by Hailey DiMarco. Amazon offered me a copy of this book for a review and I took them up on it after Carrie (again!) posted a great review of it on her blog. Eager to get into this one because I’m sensing a fruit of the spirit theme will be happening around here starting the first of the year. More this soon I hope… This book was excellent and I could not put it down. I think it’s safe to say that while it is billed as a marriage book there is so much more in here about abiding in Christ and how to grow the fruit of the spirit in our lives. This will be a resource for me for years.
On my reading list for December. However, I also finished:
January now looms ahead and I’m going to continue with my monthly bookish posts. They have helped me set some short term goals and I’ve actually gotten some of those books that I’ve wanted to read checked off my list. For 2013, I am also going to make a concerted effort to buy less books and plow through the ones that I already own and haven’t gotten to. That’s not to say I WON’T buy any this year … I’m not ruling anything out. : ) So, that said, for January I’m going to try and tackle: For the January Reading to Know bookclub, I’m also tacking on a couple L.M. Montgomery books. I’m reading Jane of Lantern Hill aloud to the girls (our first LMM selection to be read aloud) and Jane is one of my favorites. (I read Jane for the 2009 LMM Challenge and blogged her here). I want to reread Rila of Ingleside on my own for the challenge. It’s been a while since I’ve spent time with her. : ) I’d love to add a few more books to my list, but I’m trying to be realistic. Activities start back up this week and there is school planning to be done as well, but I’m going to try and keep my reading momentum going!

Happy Thursday! Back to school for us today – I’m ready for a little routine and order around these parts though I’ve loved our days off!

2012 Monthly Reading Goals: December’s post will take you to all the posts for 2012.


3 comments:

  1. You've convinced me on The Fruitful Wife. Maybe I need yet another title on my nonfiction TBR list. ;-). So glad you're reading The Little White Horse! We all loved it! What a great idea to introduce your girls to LMM through a character besides Anne!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! 62 books! I can't believe how little that I read this year. That needs to change....it might.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm currently discovering that there are some non-fiction books that I could stand to re-read EVERY year...and others than I don't really need to do that with. The Fruitful Wife could stand some CONSTANT attention! Loved that book.

    I, too, am considering buying less books and reading more that I already own. (Why say I won't by ANY books? I can't promise that. I can promise to keep it to a bare minimum though!)

    French Kids Eat Everything sounds REALLY fascinating and fun! I'm going to have to look that one up! At the library, I mean . . . ;)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting!

One of my goals this year has been to diversify my reading. As I've spent the last 17 years homeschooling anywhere from 1-4 kids, I woul...