Thursday, September 21, 2006

Kickin' it Off!



I'm playing along with Katrina's Fall into Reading Challenge which is from September 21 - December 21. I want to try and focus my reading energy a bit more ... I'm bad about being a rereader of some of my favorite fiction, and I'm trying to push out of that a bit. Not eliminating my fiction entirely, but more new stuff. (And for those that knew I was trying to go fiction-free in September, I have succumbed to one book thus far ... my bad. But, I'm back on the band wagon and none of the fiction books listed below will be read until October). I'm also throwing in some other genres that I rarely touch (bios and autobios). So, without further ado ... the list!

Fiction
1. Summer of the Midnight Sun, Alaskan Quest series, book 1, Traci Peterson
2. Under the Northern Lights, Alaskan Quest series, book 2, Traci Peterson
3. Emma, Jane Austen
4. @Home for the Holidays, Meredith Efken
5. Before I Wake, Dee Henderson

Non-Fiction
1. Ambassador Families: Equipping Your Kids to Engage Popular Culture, Mitali Perkins (my current read)
2. Mere Christianity, C.S. Lewis
3. Small Beginnings, Barbara Curtis
4. Christ in Christmas: A Family Advent Celebration
5. Me, Obey Him?, Elizabeth Rice Handford

Biography/Autobiography
1. Shadow of the Almighty, Elisabeth Elliot
2. The Hiding Place, Corrie Ten Boom (a re-read from loooooooong ago)

Bible Study
We are doing an inductive study of the book of Exodus this year with the women at church so that's where I'll be focused primarily. However, I do want to review Fresh Brewed Life on my own and maybe do some journalling along with that. :)

Reading with the Girls
I'm going to commit to reading 3 books aloud per day to my girls. My almost-3 year old is JUST now getting to the point where she will sit for a story, so my goal is to work up to her sitting for all three (maybe even longer!), and starting the habit of reading to the baby again. I got out of the habit of reading to N1 because she was soooo busy and one of my fall "preschool" goals for the two of us is to do more read-aloud. No specific books in mind, but I am starting to acquire some of the books that go along with our Before Five in a Row materials such as:

1. Caps for Sale
2. Courderoy
3. The Runaway Bunny

as well as other classics like:

4. Madeline
5. Curious George

As I finish, I'll try and put up a short review and my thoughts on each book. Thanks Katrina for kicking this off! (Click the picture to visit Katrina at Calapidder Days and check out the other participants' reading lists.)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting!

One of my goals this year has been to diversify my reading. As I've spent the last 17 years homeschooling anywhere from 1-4 kids, I woul...