Tuesday, April 26, 2011

The Nightstand ::: April's Version

When I remember, I do love to participate in 5 Minute for Books What's on Your Nightstand Carnival. It's always a good monthly prompt for me to see what I said I was going to read, and what side-tracked me. : ) Like last month, my reading has been spotty as I've been fitting it around a regular life that has been more full than usual of late.

In March, I said that I wanted to read:
:: The Strong Willed Child by Dobson (A-hem.) Haven't started it.
:: One Thousand Gifts by Ann Voskamp Ended up loaning this out to someone before I finished it. Must get back to it.
:: The Moffats by Eleanor Estes Read a couple chapters and handed it to N1. : )
:: The Lost Hero by Rick Riordan Read and enjoyed.
:: The Mysterious Benedict Society Purchased for the Kindle while it was on a steal of a deal and am waiting until summer to read with N1.
So, 1 out of 5. Not great, but a book did get finished which at this point I'll take.

For April, these are on my list but I have not hopes or plans to get through all of them in one month!
:: One Thousand Gifts by Ann Voskamp
:: Currently reading in The Mission of Motherhood by Sally Clarkson in the mornings. Inspired, convicted and greatly encouraged by this book right now where I am in life with little ones. I'm planning on starting The Ministry of Motherhood when I finish it.
:: Thanks to a great review from Amy and a recommendation from my BFF, I purchased the book and study guide to Homeschooling with a Meek a Quiet Spirit from Teri Maxwell. I don't know that I'll get that done over the next month. I may wait to savor it over the summer when we aren't schooling, but I am looking forward to it!
:: Made to Crave by Lisa TerKeurst. I was sent a review copy of this and can't wait to start it either, although I'm guessing it may rock my world a bit. : )

For once I don't have any fiction in hand to read right now, and I'm okay with that. I am craving non-fiction which takes me much longer to read, but I'm going with it for now. There will be plenty of time for fluffy, fun summer reading down the road, ie., the next Penderwicks book is coming out (The Penderwicks at Point Mouette) and I've preordered it for my Kindle. Can't wait to dive into that one! : )

Happy reading!

Linked to Five Minutes for Books monthly Nightstand carnival!

12 comments:

  1. This sounds like a fun meme. I love the homeschooling book, I wonder if it would work for homework. I would love to homeschool, but work full time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow--that's the whole MBS collection, right?? That's a great price -- on Kindle or $13 for the whole set. Great books!

    I'm happy "when you remember" to join in!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So glad you participated this month. I read the Strong-Willed child when my son was little. Back then, I only thought I had a strong-willed child. Now that I've got my daughter, I need to reread it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. @Tracy: I would think that you could find some nuggets in there that would encourage you working or not even though it is a (obviously) pro-homeschool book. She has good parenting thoughts over-all that I've seen that have helped me in several of the ages and stages that my kids have been in. : )

    ReplyDelete
  5. oh my goodness, you're hoping to read ALL these books in a month, I'm impressed.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well! We've both been reading Clarkson, huh? Good stuff!

    No fiction? I'm impressed. I can't tear myself away from fiction; I can't often MAKE myself read nonfiction.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'll have to look for the upcoming Penderwicks book- my son and I read the others together and really enjoyed their refreshing depiction of childhood. :)
    -Dawn, 5M4B

    ReplyDelete
  8. Looks like you have a great list! One Thousand Gifts seems to be really popular but I haven't read it yet...

    Happy May reading!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am going to add Mission of Motherhood to my TBR list. Thanks for the heads up on the Penderwicks--I absolutely love them!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love your little asides to catch us up on what you've (not) read in the past month. Sometimes life just happens that way, right?

    I'm sure you and N1 will love The Mysterious Benedict Society.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I can't remember which Clarkson book I read on motherhood. But whichever one I've already read- I'd like to read the other.

    Still waiting on my copy of One Thousand Gifts to arrive and then I'm hoping to get to that sooner rather than later.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm in serious need of attacking my nonfiction pile and am determined to focus on those in the next few weeks, although I can't promise there won't be novels read as well!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting!

One of my goals this year has been to diversify my reading. As I've spent the last 17 years homeschooling anywhere from 1-4 kids, I woul...