Sunday, July 09, 2006

Succulent Sunday


Hosted by Reformed Mama


I love Chinese food. Love. It. But our budget doesn't love getting it very often as it can really add up when you buy dinner for two (who, of course, want two different entres) and a couple egg rolls. I found this recipe from Weight Watchers and it does the trick for me when I need a Chinese food fix that doesn't break the budget.

Szechuan Chicken with Peanuts

1 lb. skinnless boneless chicken breasts, cut into strips
3 T. hoisin sauce
2 T. cornstarch
1/2 cup low-sodium chicken broth
2 T. rice vinegar
2 T. sugar
2 t. chili-garlic sauce
1 T. canola oil
1 T. minced peeled fresh ginger (I've used powdered in a pinch)
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 green bell pepper, seeded and chopped
2 medium carrots, thinly sliced on a diagonal
1/4 cup unsalted, dry-roasted peanuts
(I've also added extra vegetables at the same time that I add the bell pepper and carrots to the recipe, like broccoli, snap peas, red bell peppers, etc. to up the veggies in the dish)

Combine the chicken, 1 T. of the hoisin sauce, and 1 T. of the cornstarch in a medium bowl; toss well to coat and set aside. Combine the remaining 2 T. of hoisin sauce, 1 T. cornstarch, the broth, vinegar, sugar and chili-garlic sauce in a small bowl; set aside.

Heat a nonstick wok or a large deep skillet over medium high heat until a drop of water sizzles. Swirl in the oil, then add the chicken. Stir fry until almost cooked through, 2-3 minutes. Add the ginger and garlic; stir-fry until fragrant; about 15 seconds. Add the bell pepper, carrots and peanuts; stir-fry until crisp-tender, about 2 minutes. Add the hoisin sauce mixture and cook, stirring constantly, until the mixture boils and thickens, and the chicken is cooked through, about 1 minute.


This is a surprisingly fast recipe to mix together and make and that's saying something with two little girls that do not like Mama spending lots of time making dinner when there are toys to be played with. :-) Enjoy, and let me know if you try it!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting!

One of my goals this year has been to diversify my reading. As I've spent the last 17 years homeschooling anywhere from 1-4 kids, I woul...