Monday, November 20, 2006

To clarify...

For the lovely Debs:

Biscuits and gravy is a breakfast staple if you live in the southern United States. You can make the gravy several different ways, but this is how I make it. Take a pound of ground pork sausage (breakfast sausage, not links or patties) and fry it up in a skillet. Then, I sprinkle the whole pan with flour (for a pound of sausage, I probably use 1/2 cup of flour), and then fill my frying pan with milk. Taking my spatula, I continually stir the flour/milk/sausage mixture until the flour is completely dissolved. Then you keep stirring as the milk starts to thicken and then it turns into gravy with yummy lovey chunks of sausage in it. Ladle that over a warm biscuit, and presto! Biscuits and gravy. I don't use a recipe to make it so it's a little sketchy as I'm typing from memory. My paternal Grandma was THE gravy maker in the family, and she passed that skill on to my Dad, who then passed the gravy-gene on to me. One of the family genes that I was thrilled to get. LOL This is just ONE way of, I'm sure, many to make biscuits and gravy. I believe if you use ham as your base (instead of sausage) it's called red-eye gravy, but I've never attempted that one.

A One-Weigh-or-Another disclaimer: this is definitely not something that I eat regularly because it is fairly fattening. But I splurged ... it was a Saturday morning, my husband was going out to breakfast with my Dad and brother-in-law and I was envious. :) So I tried to recreate that Cracker Barrel feeling at home.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting!

One of my goals this year has been to diversify my reading. As I've spent the last 17 years homeschooling anywhere from 1-4 kids, I woul...