Wednesday, April 18, 2007

Thus Far ... Spring Reading Thing Update

Fiction

  • White Chocolate Moments by Lori Wick. I finished this one first. For a spot-on review of this book check out Robinznest ... it wasn't the best Lori Wick ever, but it was passable. Predictable, a little cheesy, and I found the male characters fairly unbelieveable.
  • Emma by Jane Austin. In Process
  • The Yada Yada Prayer Group Gets Caught by Neta Jackson. Sooooo good. Love Yada Yada. This is what believeable characters should look like - warts and all. Jodi is my girl. Stepping out in her walk with the Lord and looking so often like mine with 3 steps forward and 2 steps back. Liked it so much that I added...
  • The Yada Yada Prayer Group Gets Rollin' by Neta Jackson. (Book 7) Excellent! Now I just have to wait until October for the eighth and last book in the series.

Non Fiction

  • A Place of Quiet Rest: Finding Intimacy with God Through a Daily Devotional Life by Nancy DeMoss. This book blessed me so much. I think, if I can put enough thoughts together on it, I want to do a whole post on it. (I did touch on one part here). This is by far one of the most encouraging, practical, well-written books I've come across on how important daily time with the Lord is and there are 3-4 chapters alone dedicated to suggestions ... do-able suggestions. Two thumbs way up!
  • Hospitality Commands by Alexander Strauch. An excellent (and short!) book convicting me on this area and how I need to be extremely purposeful on opening my home up to others.
  • Not Your Mother's Slow Cooker Cookbook. Eh. It had some great recipes in it, but what I think they meant by it not being your mother's slow cooker book is that most of the recipes were fairly exotic, requiring ingredients that I wouldn't normally keep on hand or were frankly more expensive that I could afford for a meal. It would be a great reference cookbook or for a special occasion, but not one that I would use often.
  • Daniel (as in the Bible) Read through this and did fine for the first half. Totally confused during the 2nd half of the book when it dips deep into prophecy. Thankful that it looks like we'll be reading and studying through this this fall.

Children's Reading

  • The Complete Adventures of Curious George by Margret & H.A. Rey. We enjoyed this big time! So much that when I had to finally return it to the library, N1 has been asking almost daily when we can go check it out again.
  • Have read almost one book a day to the girls, sometimes more. So, going good!

1 comment:

  1. I can't WAIT for the next Yada Yada and I don't want them to ever end - that's how GOOD they are!!!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting!

One of my goals this year has been to diversify my reading. As I've spent the last 17 years homeschooling anywhere from 1-4 kids, I woul...