Thursday, October 08, 2009

Read-Aloud Thursday :: October 8

Photobucket


It's been a while since I've been able to participate in one of Hope is the Word's Read-Aloud Thursdays. We are home from Bible study this morning with a sick munchkin and that gives me a few extra minutes before needing to start our day. :)


This week our Five in a Row book has been The Glorious Flight. This is the story of Papa Bleriot who is the first man to pilot a plane over the English Channel. The story follows his dream of building an airplane after seeing one fly over the town of Cambrai where he lived with his wife and five children. The shows several of his works-in-progress: the airplane known as Bleriot I flapped like a chicken and wasn't big enough to hold anything but the family cat. (And she didn't want to go for a ride). :) Bleriot IV would only travel in beautiful circles. However, Bleriot VII can really fly!


While this book is probably not something that I would have initially picked up on my own at the library, N1 and I have enjoyed the story and have talked about Papa Bleriot's perserverance in learning to fly, even though it wasn't easy. A reminder that even I need on occasion. (Okay, a lot of the time). :)


For our chapter book, we are engrossed in Tumtum & Nutmeg, a book recommended to me by Sarah at In the Midst of It. I'll wait and hopefully review it another week, but so far it is wonderful! N1 and I fit in another chapter last night after she got home from Awana and had to cut ourselves off so she could get to bed. I'll keep you posted. :)


For more Read-Aloud Thursday, visit Hope is the Word!

5 comments:

  1. Anonymous9:11 AM

    Tumtum & Nutmeg looks like a fun read. We may be going to the library this afternoon. I'll look for it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The Glorious Flight sounds like one my husband would enjoy. He's from a family of aviation enthusiasts. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Tumtum & Nutmeg SOUNDS cute! I also like the sound of The Glorious Flight which sounds very much like something I would personally enjoy, even if the little guy wouldn't.

    Thanks for the tips!

    ReplyDelete
  4. We just started Tumtum & Nutmeg today! We've read two chapters, and so far, so good!

    Of course, The Glorious Flight is on our list. . .

    SO very glad you joined in again this week, Stephanie!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Stephanie, These look like great books! I love to see what others are reading.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting!

One of my goals this year has been to diversify my reading. As I've spent the last 17 years homeschooling anywhere from 1-4 kids, I woul...