Monday, October 19, 2009

Memphis Zoo

Several of you asked about our trip to the Memphis Zoo - we loved it! :) Nashville's zoo is a work-in-progress and while it is growing and changing, we enjoyed the different animals that we saw in Memphis! The size was just perfect for a day trip. We were able to walk the whole thing in one day and even BBoo was able to keep up (for the most part.) :)

One thing that I really like about the Memphis Zoo is that they have some of their animal exhibits grouped by region. All the animals that are native to an area are housed together and even the architecture and building reflect that part of the world. The pandas, for example, are housed in a building that reflects Chinese architecture and there are statues and carvings that go along with this. Their new exhibit, Teton Trek, gives the feeling that you have walked right into Yellowstone National Park. This section has grizzly bears, wolves, antelope - all animals found in that part of the country. I especially loved this section as it brought back great memories of our honeymoon at Yellowstone. I can't wait until my girls are old enough to take there!

If you want to see some of the photo highlights from our trip, I've uploaded them to Flickr and they are here. My husband also worked some of his video magic and you can see a short video of some of the things we saw (as well as hear some of the kids' commentary which is pretty funny). This was a great trip for our kids (plus cousin Bubby who tagged along with us) and I will look forward to making a return trip down the road.
MemphisZoo Layout

The first layout of (I'm sure) several from our day-trip to the Memphis Zoo. This is a free digi photoshop template from Shimelle and the font is CK Man's Hand.

2 comments:

  1. what an awesome trip! i've been wanting to go there for years to see the panda!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks like fun - I'll have to add that to our list of stops the next time I'm headed West.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting!

One of my goals this year has been to diversify my reading. As I've spent the last 17 years homeschooling anywhere from 1-4 kids, I woul...