So far my little scheme to make a reading plan for each month has been working pretty good for me! (Granted I’m only two months into this but still…)
My February plans were to read:
- Running Away to Home for the Reading to Know February book club selection, blogged here
- The Core - written by the founder of Classical Conversations, a well known homeschool tutorial
Both of which I completed!
I also read:
- The Cheshire Cheese Cat by Carmen Deedy, recommended by Amy and thoroughly enjoyed
- The Long Winter by Laura Ingalls Wilder, read aloud with the girls and blogged here
- The Magic Half by Annie Barrows (of Ivy & Bean AND The Guernsey Literary Potato Peel Society fame), pre-read for N1 and it’s just okay.
- Ben and Me by Robert Lawson, read aloud with the girls and blogged here
- Seasons of a Mother’s Heart by Sally Clarkson, read quickly because I was enjoying it so much. Now I want to go back through it slooooowly and do the devotional thinkerly parts of the book.
That’s more than I have crammed into a month in a long time. (Eliminating Facebook and Twitter from daily reading DOES free up more hours in your day … who’d have thought it!?) : )
For March, I’ve got so many things that I’m itching to read that I’m a bit overwhelmed with my list. That’s a good problem to have, though. Up for this month I want to tackle:
- Give Them Grace by Elyse Fitzpatrick – I started this last month, but didn’t finish.
- Beautiful Girlhood by Mabel Hale/Karen Andreola
- Girl of the Limberlost by Gene Stratton Porter (my book for the RtK bookclub that I’m leading in June)
- finish The Trumpet of the Swan with my girls and start a new read-aloud.
The Reading to Know bookclub is tackling Pilgrim’s Progress this month and I think I’m going to sit this one out. I actually found my copy yesterday and flipped through it, but I don’t think I have the mental fortitude for it right now … and I’m feeling the need to focus some of my reading time on some parenting issues that are stretching and testing me right now. (Nothing bad or unusual … just normal children stretching and growing and wearing this mama out). : )
I’ve also brought home a stack of books from the library to pre-read for N1 in anticipation of (gulp!) THIRD GRADE next year. These (and others) are in my book basket, but may or may not be tackled in the next thirty-one days. I make no promises!
- Strawberry Girl by Lois Lensky
- The Little White Horse by Elizabeth Goudge
- Robin Hood by Howard Pyle
- The Bears of Blue River by Charles Major
That sure seems like a lot for March, but I’m finding just having the plan helps, even if I don’t complete all the books. We’ll see what happens when I hopefully check back in at the end of next month!
I’m taking the opportunity to link up with What’s on Your Nightstand at 5 Minutes for Books today as well. It’s been a while since I have had my act together to join in with them. : )