Tuesday, October 23, 2012

September and October Reading Log

Time for a brief recap of what’s been on my reading list for the last couple months.
At the end of August, my goals for September were to read:
I never blogged a list of what I was aiming for in October, but on my short list in my planner I have/had:
  • Uncle Tom’s Cabin (for the Reading to Know October book club) Started, but I don’t know that I’ll get it done by Friday…
  • Under Wildwood (book two in the Wildwood Chronicles) Finished and enjoyed!
  • Casual Vacancy by J.K. Rowling, her first non-Harry Potter novel Haven’t started and I haven’t heard too many good reports on this one…
  • Mark of Athena Finished and thought it draggggggged.
  • Dancing with My Father by Sally Clarkson Have read chapter 1…by the way, paperback is on sale for a killer deal right now!
Not a whole lot of reading going on here in retrospect – one book (besides read-alouds) in September and two in October. There is still a week and half of October left so we’ll see what can still be accomplished. : )
For November, I am craving cold weather, leafless trees, and cozy reading. Nothing too thinkerly (although a little thinkerly is good) and possibly a visit with some old friends. With that in mind, I’m leaning towards…
  • continuing on with Dancing with My Father by Sally Clarkson
  • reading Life as Mom’s new cookbook Not Your Mother’s Make-Ahead and Freeze cookbook as well as
  • my More with Less cookbook that has been on my shelf for some time. Nothing says cozy reading to me like perusing cookbooks.
  • The Little White Horse by Elizabeth Goudge. I picked up a copy at the library because Amy has been reading it with one of her girls. It’s been on my to-read list for a LONG time.
  • revisiting Mitford. Maybe just one book, maybe the whole series. It’s been a couple of years since I’ve read the whole series and I miss those characters. Having a random thought that I might blog my Mitford-a-thon and, along with it, make some recipes from my Mitford cookbook. Hmmm. There’s a thought… : )
We will see what actually gets accomplished in November. October was a c.r.a.z.y. month around these parts and as of now, my November calendar looks very tame. (I probably shouldn’t type that!) We’ll see what gets checked off when I revisit my list in about four weeks!

Happy Tuesday!
Today is our last day of fall break (mostly just an extended long weekend for us this year) and we are contemplating the zoo. Mama can always use another day at home to get caught up here, but the weather is supposed to be gorgeous and there is a boy that would dearly love to see some elephants up close if we can arrange that.

Linking up with What's on Your Nightstand over at Five Minutes for Books.

Past 2012 Monthly Reading Goals:
January
February
March
April
May
June/July
September


14 comments:

  1. I was kind of interested in Casual Vacancy but was turned off by all the negative reviews. I bet she still made a killing on it though since people were so excited after HP...

    I hope you're able to read at least one of the Mitford books! They are warm and cozy type reads for this time of year. :)

    Cassandra

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you are probably right; I know I bought the kindle version sight unseen but am now wondering if I should have waited. : )

      Thanks for visiting and commenting! I’m already a few chapters into the first Mitford and already have a hankering for apple pie and Father Tim’s company stew. : )

      Delete
  2. Midford-a-thon. I LIKE IT! I'd read with you if you did that.

    Very curious to hear your thoughts on Dancing With My Father.

    And also for what you think of Rowlings new novel. I haven't heard good things of it either.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I’m scared to start Rowlings. It’s purchased and languishing on my Kindle so it will be there whenever I feel like getting around to it. : )

      I’ll ponder a Mitford plan. Not sure how that would look since I have so much free time for blogging right now (she says as she’s manage to post a couple times this week – hello, fall break from school). : ) Speaking of blogging and reading, are you going to do the bookclub again next year? I feel like I slacked off the last two months, but I’m hoping to participate the rest of the year. (Ahem, the November book is only $3 on kindle right now). : )

      Delete
  3. I pulled Sally C. off the shelf this week, too, only my pick is Ministry of Motherhood. I'm needing a little boost in the nurturing/discipling department. :-)

    Mitford--I only ever read the first one! Eeeeek! I loved it, but I have a horrible track record regarding sequels/series lately. I definitely should make time for more Mitford.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Amen on the boost in the parenting pants. : ) Right there with you!

      How have you not read more than one Mitford book?! I’m not sure that we can still be friends. : ) We need to rectify this immediately! (Or maybe after the Cybils when your schedule opens up a bit, hmm?) : )

      Delete
  4. Anonymous1:21 AM

    I heard part of an interview with Rowling on the radio and that piqued my interest in "Casual Vacancy." It seems a real departure for her, and I wonder if that's why people didn't like it or if it really isn't that good. Regardless, thanks to the interview it's on my mental list of "Books I'd Like to Read" which I always forget when I'm in a library or bookstore.

    And I love "More with Less"! I used it a lot when we lived overseas. That book cracks me up. What other cookbook has poems to bread? A classic. What are your fav recipes from it? Me, kulsherie, Middle Eastern lentil soup, cornbread, and cheese biscuits.

    Elizabeth from 5MFB

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Elizabeth,

      Sadly, More with Less has mostly sat on my shelf other than a few cursory glances through it. I don't have any favorites from it yet, but I'm hoping to after I get it out and page through it. I'll look for some of the recipes you have mentioned to start with - thanks for sharing them!

      Delete
  5. I just revisited the first Mitford book and it was so enjoyable. I forgot how what a great read they were. Now to find time to read the others.

    I hope you get to read The Little White Horse. It is a big hit in our house. Even I like it and I pretty much avoid all things fantasy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn’t know it was fantasy – that tells you what I know. (I don’t know what I thought it was). Now I’m even more interested!

      Thanks for visiting and commenting!

      Delete
  6. Anonymous11:11 AM

    I am working on Uncle Tom's Cabin too and I don't think (I am pretty sure I won't) get done with it by Friday! I have the first 2 of the Mitford series and my local library has the rest. You have made me very excited about getting to them. I too am looking forward to a cozy November reading time!

    ReplyDelete
  7. You might want to check out Life with Lily for a book to read with your girls. There are more in the series coming out in the future, and it reminded me of Little House is some ways. Here's my review if you're interested.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Those look interesting! Thanks for sharing those. : )

      Delete
  8. I should revisit Mitford myself. I haven't read that series in years, YEARS! Should definitely change that. Thanks for the reminder! :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting!

One of my goals this year has been to diversify my reading. As I've spent the last 17 years homeschooling anywhere from 1-4 kids, I woul...