April Reading Plans
How is March almost done? One-fourth of 2012 already past? Inconceivable!
March reading was very, very slow going. There was a lot on my plate this month (and several additional things that I didn’t expect were added in) which resulted in not as much reading. My goals at the beginning of the month had been to tackle:
- Give Them Grace by Elyse Fitzpatrick – I started this last month, but didn’t finish.
- Beautiful Girlhood by Mabel Hale/Karen Andreola
- Girl of the Limberlost by Gene Stratton Porter (my book for the RtK bookclub that I’m leading in June)
- finish The Trumpet of the Swan with my girls and start a new read-aloud.
I finished ONE book on my list last month (though I did finished a couple others that weren’t on my list.) I finished:
- Girl of the Limberlost by Gene Stratton Porter (my book for the RtK bookclub that I’m leading in June). This is what killed me this month. I’ll expound more on my thoughts on the book when I post about it for the RtK bookclub, but it is deceptively long. It took me way more time to finish it that I thought it would!
- Five Little Peppers and How They Grew, linked to the cover of the one I read, but there are tons of version and even a free-for-Kindle copy
- Hunger Games … reread in anticipation of the movie that came out a week ago. Realistically, I’m not sure that I’m/we’re going to make it to see it in the theater, but I enjoyed rereading this just in case. : )
- Lewis & Clark & Me – blogged here and read aloud with the girls
- The Country Artist – blogged here and read aloud with the girls
I am a little over one-third of the way through Give Them Grace by Elyse Fitzpatrick and it’s been slow going. I don’t know if it’s me or her writing style. I am agreeing with what I’m reading, but …. there are just so. many. words. Not throwing in the towel on this one yet, though. I also put a few chapters into Beautiful Girlhood by Mabel Hale/Karen Andreola and will look forward to getting back into this one. The Trumpet of the Swan is also still in progress. And all the books that I had checked out to pre-read for N1? Not a one. We’ll be hanging on to those library books a bit longer!
Looking to April, I’m definitely not going to be as optimistic in my goals. It’s another abnormally full month and we are kicking off family birthday season as well. All good stuff. That said, I would like to tackle:
- Something by P.G. Wodehouse for the Reading to Know bookclub April selection. I’ve downloaded The Jeeves Collection to my Kindle and will probably start there.
- finish (hopefully? maybe?) Give Them Grace by Elyse Fitzpatrick
- the third book in The Incorrigible Children of Ashton Place series: The Unseen Guest is sitting here staring at me. I’m trying to hold out until we are officially on our spring break…
- The Extraordinary Education of Nicholas Benedict (The Mysterious Benedict Society) is also due out in April!
We’ll see what happens. Some months it’s just hard to get any reading time in when there are so many distractions like playing outside, the enormous amount of laundry created from playing outside, and going to soccer games! I’ve also been doing much pondering on school and where we are going for the last 35 days that we need to get under our belt. (How is it that we only have 35 days left?!) Then there are summer plans to dream over … life is very good.
Happy Saturday and last day of March! We have plans to attend a cousin’s baseball game and there are eggs to color at some point this weekend. Good stuff.