Friday, September 10, 2004

Happy Fall Ya'll

I'm back . . . It was good to take a couple weeks off, but I was surprised at how much I miss writing here. :-) I spent the time reading a FABULOUS book called Fresh-Brewed Life by Nicole Johnson. The title alone pulled me in. It had so much to say to me about how I was living my life, but not LIVING it, you know?

All my longings lie open before You, O Lord;
my sighing is not hidden from you.
Psalm 38:9

I've been trying to hide my deepest aches and hurts from God when He is really the only one that can meet them and comfort me in them. I've known this for a long time, but it's been head knowledge - the past two weeks have made it heart knowledge.

Now for the news...

~ Travis was supposed to be gone all this week in Houston. HE CAME BACK EARLY!! Yeah! His class that he was leading got finished early and he was able to get an earlier flight last night and come home to surprise us. I had a special music rehearsal last night at church and my Mom was at the house babysitting Noelle. He ran by the house and dropped his stuff off and then came over to the church. I was looking towards the front of the church so I didn't see him come in the doors at the back of our auditorium, so I was somewhat surprised when everyone stopped playing/singing and shouted "TRAVIS!!" I about freaked out. (Okay, so I did freak out a little!) It was so fun to be surprised like that - I was not expecting it at all. He did have to go into work today, but he's planning on being home early this afternoon so we'll get to see him for a bit before he heads out to a wedding rehearsal that he is playing for. (The original plan had been for him to go straight from the airport to the rehearsal without coming home so it would have been late tonight before we would have seen him). *heart*

~ We have our Missions Conference at church next weekend. The theme is "Common Ground" - emphasizing finding common ground with those in our day-to-day life and how to share the gospel with them. I'm pretty excited about it. As far as I can remember, all of our past conferences have focused on overseas missions or big, broad themes. This is the first time it will really focus on how we can impact our community.

~ With that said, I am also in charge of the music for the weekend. *stressing*

~ I have taken on some new responsibilities at church regarding our church music/worship team. My best friend, Gina, and I are co-coordinating it for the time being, and conceivably, the long term. While I am a little stressed about the upcoming Missions Conference (Gina has had an out-of-town trip planned for a long time and won't be there), I'm thankful for the opportunity to work closely with Gina again. Daily phone calls with my best friend, excuses to get together for coffee (not that we need an excuse), and a chance for adult conversation and brain stimulation at the same time. You can't beat that! :-) She is undeniably more gifted musically than I am at arranging instruments and parts. I can do it, but it takes me soooooo much longer and I am never terribly confident in what I've come up with. And, I have a leg up on her as far as organizing the team, getting music picked and pulled for each week and the maintenance of keeping up with a dozen and a half musicians. Travis is also going to be pulled in to help a bunch, too, as he is gifted like Gina is - arranging, writing parts, etc. are all his strengths. He will actually be doing most of that part of the planning for the Missions Conference music which thrills me. :-)

Now, because it's Friday, and to celebrate being back to writing....

Appetizer - What movie soundtracks do you own?
Most of the Disney soundtracks, Wizard of Oz, Sound of Music, Footloose, Star Wars - the original, American Graffiti, Annie, Pure Country *blush*, Phantom of the Opera, Singin' in the Rain, When Harry Met Sally

Soup - How much cash do you usually carry with you?
I never have any - we are debit card people.

Salad - Are you more comfortable around men or women? Why?
I think my comfortability level is about even - it depends more on how well I know the person as to how comfortable I am whether man or woman.

Main Course - What is the most mischievous thing you remember doing as a child?
Off the top of my head, opening a birthday gift that my Grandma sent me and then trying to rewrap it so no one would know. Unfortunately, I known for my horrible wrapping abilities and was promptly busted.

Dessert - Who is the funniest member of your family?
Hands down my neice Jordan. She's almost 7 and knows everything! 'Nuff said. :-)

Now, off to do a load of laundry and get a few things done during nap time . . . See you Monday!



3 comments:

  1. I *love* that book! It's awesome!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous2:53 PM

    So how big is your church? What a daunting task! yikes!
    Tammy from Dishpan dribble

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey!! Welcome back!! I'm about 30 seconds away from coming off of my "light posting" hiatus myself. In fact I just posted a little something just a bit ago, and while it is cool, it really didn't require much self-effort, as it were. I'll actually consider myself "back" when I am dredging everything up from the depths of my soul. :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting!

One of my goals this year has been to diversify my reading. As I've spent the last 17 years homeschooling anywhere from 1-4 kids, I woul...