Tuesday, November 18, 2008

Bloggy Book Tour ::: This is the Feast

I was recently sent a copy of This is the Feast by Diane Z. Shore (and illustrated by Megan Lloyd). Gentle rhymes and simple language share the story of the Pilgrims and Native Americans.

When the Pilgrims embarked on their legendary Mayflower voyage in 1620, they couldn't predict what lay ahead of them. In search of religious freedom and a new life, the settlers faced hardships including harsh storms, illness, and unfamiliar terrain. Thanks to their natural perseverance and the help of their neighbor Indians, the Pilgrims survived their first year. And when the harvest the next fall was plentiful, the Pilgrims and the Indians joined together in a three-day celebration, the first Thanksgiving. (from Amazon.com).

I have enjoyed adding this book to our Thanksgiving library here at home. One thing I really appreciate about the book … there is no tiptoeing around the fact that God was an integral part in the lives of the early settlers. Several times throughout the story, the words “thanks be to God…” are woven into the poem. It is clear that the pilgrims gave all honor and glory to God as the one that was their strength and guide while on the Mayflower and the one who protected their lives through the first hard winter.

The art is also beautifully done. As I have mentioned in other book reviews that I’ve done, I’m drawn to art in children’s books that is more realistic and simple. Especially (for me) when reading books that are historical, I think it's very important to draw details renderings of the clothing and lifestyle to help children understand what life was like. (If you make it too cartoon-ish, then it just looks like everything available on Nick, Jr. or Noggin.) 

Thank you to Kids Book Buzz for the opportunity to blog about this book. You can check out other bloggers' thoughts and reviews around the web here: the 160acrewoodsA Mom SpeaksAll About Children’s BooksBecky’s Book ReviewsCafe of DreamsDolce BellezzaHomeschool BuzzKidzBookBuzz.com,Looking Glass ReviewsMaggie ReadsMaw Books BlogNever Jam TodayOur Big EarthQuiverfull FamilyReading is My SuperpowerSmallWorld Reads.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting!

One of my goals this year has been to diversify my reading. As I've spent the last 17 years homeschooling anywhere from 1-4 kids, I woul...