Tuesday, November 25, 2008

What's on Your Nightstand ... or in your bookbag!


The dilemna of all dilemnas. What to put in my book bag for our little Thanksgiving journey.
Almost more important that what type of clothing to bring (and definitely more pondered than clothing!) :) We're only going to be gone for a few days, and I do have three little munchkins to keep up with, feed and entertain, but I'm going to be optimistic and put together a rather impressive stack for my bag. We'll see what all gets tackled!

What's on My Nightstand ... or bookbag!

Girl of the Limberlost - one that I have wanted to read for years, literally. I finally managed to remember to request it at the library. I've been told (from those who's opinion in books I respect) that Gene Stratton Porter is one of those authors I need to collect. So this is my first foray into her writing.

A Tale of Despereaux - with the movie coming out in a few weeks, I wanted to read this first. My friend Dana has given this book glowing recommendations and as I have a weakness for YA literature, a double bonus.

Keeping a Nature Journal - I keep checking this out of the library over and over again, and there is hope that I might finish it this time. I want to incorporate more of the outdoors in my school-time with N1 and as I am perfectly happy being an inside person (see above posted stack of books), I've been recommended this book as well.

Dickens ... I want to read A Christmas Carol this year. This may not make it on the trip for sheer size! :)

Faces in the Crowd - a book review book that I'm trying to get into. But up against these other choices, I'm afraid it might not get much time on our trip. :)

Seasons of a Mother's Heart - current parenting/encouragement book that I'm slowly working through. Sally Clarkson = excellent so definitely going in the bag.

Real Learning - current homeschool book (and a re-read). It's just packed with good. stuff.

Sharing Your Story: Recording Life's Details with Mini-books - Love the inspiration that I always get from an Ali Edwards book. This one is no exception. I'm getting ready to start a little scrapbooking project after Thanksgiving so I will be perusing this book for ideas.

Head over to Five Minutes for Books to see what others are reading this month!

7 comments:

  1. Anonymous8:27 AM

    Wow, that Dickens book will definitely give your bag impressive weight! :-)

    You have some great titles there. Enjoy your travels, and I hope you get lots of reading in.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your book lists always make me want to head to the library or bookstore!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. TOTALLY with you about packing good books! It's a tough decision. More so than clothes.

    I LOVE your picks. I've never read Girl of the Limberlost either and had forgotten quite all about it! Hmmm.

    Great list! And have a Happy Thanksgiving!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I too am going to try and read A Christmas Carol this year as well :-). Have fun reading!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hope to finish A Christmas Carol for the Classic Bookclub "discussion". Love to read YA books.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I was thinking the same thing Stephanie said! I want to read every book you've mentioned! I've thought to read Tale of Despereaux as well, and now I need to make sure I do it! Hope you get a lot read on your trip!

    ReplyDelete
  7. miss bev looooves girl of the limber lost. she has suggested i read it for years as well! i should track down a copy.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting!

One of my goals this year has been to diversify my reading. As I've spent the last 17 years homeschooling anywhere from 1-4 kids, I woul...