Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Children's Classics ::: Katy No Pocket

Photobucket

One of our favorite classics is the sweet story of Katy No Pocket, written by Emmy Payne. Katy is a mama kangaroo with a Very Big Problem. She doesn't have a pocket! How is she going to carry her baby Freddy? Katy and Freddy go on a quest to find out how other mothers carry their babies ... maybe then they can find a solution. Unfortunately, what works for other mothers doesn't work for Katy. She and Freddy head out of the jungle in search of answers and find themselves in the big city. With a little help from a kind man on the street, Katy is back up and running with pockets to spare!

My girls love this book. Some of the attraction, I believe, is because it is about kangaroos. In our house, kangaroos are just cool. :) They are different and not something that you normally see in our neck of the woods!

I was drawn to this story by the sweet pictures in the artwork. I was wonderfully pleased when I found out that the illustrations were done by H.A. Rey - the man behind Curious George! (George is also a big deal in our house. He is very curious, as my N1 would say). :) The pictures are simple and cartoonish, but provide lots of detail for small eyes. Something I learned about Mr. Rey's style of illustrating - he originally planned to illustrated the books that he and his wife Margret wrote with watercolors, but because of color separation in printing, they switched to the cartoonish style that has continued on in his books.

This story has gotten a workout with our girls and we all give it two thumbs up if you haven't met Katy yet!

For more children's classics or to post one of your own, head over to Five Minutes for Books!


Photobucket

8 comments:

  1. When I first looked at the book (before reading the title), I totally thought Curious George! I love it when I start to identify a certain illustrator's work. Sounds like a sweet book.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous7:51 AM

    I've never read this book. Thanks for the recommendation!

    ReplyDelete
  3. We have this sitting on our shelf waiting until kiddo is just a wee bit older. I pulled it out about 3 months ago but the attention span didn't go far enough. Maybe by this summer he'll be ready for it.

    It IS a great classic and I'm glad you picked it to talk about!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This sounds like a very sweet story. And, if the pictures look like Curious George's it will be a winner. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I remember this book! Fun memories.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anonymous3:11 PM

    I hope this comment goes through. I've tried to comment before, but I've had no success. : )

    Thanks for stopping by my blog and commenting on my Patricia M. St. John post.

    My girls LOVE Katy No Pocket. We read it last year as a part of Before Five in a Row. My oldest daughter even recognized that it was illustrated by the Curious George illustrator!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I thought that illustration on the cover looked familiar. Thank you for sharing and stopping by my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love this carnival! I'm finding such great books. I've put this one in my to-read file so I'll remember it for the next trip to the library.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting!

One of my goals this year has been to diversify my reading. As I've spent the last 17 years homeschooling anywhere from 1-4 kids, I woul...