Thursday, January 01, 2009

Welcome 2009

One of the girls' Sunday School teachers gave them a neat little "I spy" beanbag for Christmas. It was filled with pellets and had little things hidden in there that they had to find through the clear side of the bean bag. The hidden items had a Christmas theme - a tree, snowman, the word JOY, a wreath, etc. The girls have loved playing with it. One afternoon, Noelle and I were searching with it, and she said, "Mommy, I can't find joy!"

One of those lighbulb moments.

For several weeks now, I've known that I need to move towards a focus of JOY for 2009. The last two years have been consumed with a focus to slow down and simplify life as we added girls back to back to our family and our tiny house. There has been much pruning of posessions, free time, and budget as we have adjusted, as you can imagine. Truthfully, though, I have not been joyful about much of it. I have fought to keep "my things" and "my time" all to myself - not looking to the greater good for our family. This year, I want to face things with joy whether it be a change of plans I was really, REALLY looking forward to; not being able to get that new whatever that I think I need want; or putting aside my agenda of things that do have to get done to focus on what the girls need, which is usually just 100% of my attention instead of less than my best.

With that, I humbly share a few goals for 2009, keeping in mind that I will strive (with God's leading and guidance) to do them with joy and bring that attitude forefront to my family:
  • Looking for joy in everday life, even the hard days because I do not deny that there will be some.
  • Documenting it and learning about joy with time in the scriptures.
  • Preserving lessons learned and joyful times in my journal and our family scrapbooks.
  • Bringing joy to relationships far and near by keeping in contact with friends and family.
  • Being joyfully diligent and intentional in my care of my family and our home.
  • Joyfully making changes to better my health and not being resentful about it.

Not a long list at all this year, but a focus that I truly feel is from the Father and a prayer that my heart is being conformed more like his. Grace & peace to you and yours as you welcome 2009. :)

2 comments:

  1. It's wonderful! I think it's perfect. Happy Joyful New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your post caught me off guard a bit, I have to say! My mother-in-law, who passed away 2 years ago this coming March, was big on the word "JOY!" She studied it and lived it while battling cancer. This year we're extremely grateful that my father-in-law will be remarried to a FANTASTIC Christian woman that we're all thrilled to pieces about. It's been a long, hard two years. But joy...joy has run out a few times and we find ourselves at the beginning of this year filled with JOY!

    Still, your post filled my throat with a lump as I remember the past and look forward to the future. The best is still yet to come and God works all things together for His good and for His glory!

    And as for you "documenting" your joy...oh my. I can't WAIT to see how you do that!! You are simply marvelous at creating things to remember your life with and if you are focused on joy!? - well, I'm excited.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting!

One of my goals this year has been to diversify my reading. As I've spent the last 17 years homeschooling anywhere from 1-4 kids, I woul...