Tuesday, February 24, 2009

What's on Your Nightstand ::: February 24

Photobucket


Last month I posted that I was going to be reading the biography of H.A. & Margret Rey: The Journey that Saved Curious George: The True Wartime Escape of Margret & H.A. Rey by Louise Borden. I sat down with this book on Saturday and finished it in about an hour! This biography is written on a grade school student's level and tells the tale of how the Rey's escaped from a Paris occupied by the Germans on two bicycles, and how they eventually made their way to America. This book would be a great resource if you were wanting to expose your 2nd grader (and up) to World War II without delving into topics that they are not ready for. The book is full of illustrations and photos of Mr. Rey's journals - did you know that Curious George started out being called Fifi? I must say, I prefer George. :)

I also finished rereading Living Simply by Joanne Heim. I was reminded in a conversation with my best friend recently how deliberate we have to be if we want to live a simple life. This book is such a good reminder for me of those things that are priorities in my life. Not that I don't know they are priorities, but somethings the excitement of saying yes to more activities, more things, and more busy-ness makes me forget. Things like evening routines with my children to make their bedtimes a sweet time for them and me, family traditions that I want to start or continue (those things don't happen if I don't plan them), having simple friendships with girlfriends and making time for them. If you are looking for encouragement to slow down, I highly recommend this book.

Up for my March reading? Hmmm. I'm not sure! :) I am dying to read the third book in the Inkheart series, but the wait list at my library is forever long. I still have Sabbath Keeping by Lynne Baab to read, and several fiction options on my shelf. We'll see!

For more nightstand posts, head over to 5 Minutes for Books. :)

14 comments:

  1. Nope. Didn't know George was meant for a Fifi. Kudos to whoever suggested the change!! =D

    I'll be curious for your thoughts on the third book in the Inkheart trilogy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree, I like George much better than Fifi!
    That's true as well what you said about being deliberate, a good reminder to make time for the important things and savor that time with our families.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sabbath Keeping has been on my list but not read yet...I have other Sabbath oriented books on my shelf.

    We love Curious George in this home. Will need to look into The Journey...

    ReplyDelete
  4. My daughter loves Curious George...the biography sounds like something that I would enjoy reading. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  5. The Rey Biography looks really interesting and glad to hear what you had to say about it. I should get this to read with my son. Thanks for visiting my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  6. fascinating story about the Rey's. Curious George is such a timeless series :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Living Simply sounds like a wonderful book. I am always trying to figure out how to simplfy my days. Have fun reading this month :-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Anonymous2:03 PM

    So true about living simply being a deliberate thing. That sounds like a good book.

    I concur that George beats Fifi by far! Fifi only fits poodles. :-)

    Janet@acrossthepage

    ReplyDelete
  9. Anonymous4:00 PM

    I also think he is a much better George! I'll have to look into that book. It sounds great!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Living Simply sounds like a good book. So does Sabbath Keeping :) Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks for the review. That Rey book does sound great (and I too am not sure I would have bought Curious Fifi).

    ReplyDelete
  12. Curious Fifi? Only if he was a poodle! I will have to tell my daughter as she is still, at age 24, a huge Curious George fan!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Fifi. Wow. Just doesn't have the same ring to it. Though I do feel sorry for all the George's of this world who have to hear monkey jokes.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting!

One of my goals this year has been to diversify my reading. As I've spent the last 17 years homeschooling anywhere from 1-4 kids, I woul...