Friday, January 01, 2010

Hello 2010

Happy New Year! As much as I usually enjoy writing a resolution/goal type post for the new year, I just can't wrap my head around it this year. Partly, I think, because November and December of this year kicked. my. tail. So, instead, a little list-y of some big and small things/ideas/plans - both the frivolous and the important - that I'm looking forward to in 2010.

1. Reading the Bible through in a year. :) Again, I'm going to try that this year. Each year, I get a little closer and with my 2010 birthday (NOT the one that I celebrated yesterday) being one that I switch to a new decade, I would like this to be the year that I get this done.

2. Be inspired. I have let myself become dull to things that inspire me and get me excited creatively. To kick off 2010, I am taking this class (Inspiration Defined) at Big Picture Scrapbooking from one of my favorite scrapbookers (Elizabeth Dillow). I want to do more scrapbooking and creating and sending of birthday cards and making goodies and am EXCITED for this. Shameless plug: if you are a scrapbooker and not acquainted with Elizabeth, (1) check out her book, The Scrapbooker's Almanac; and (2) visit Write.Click.Scrapbook. which she helped launch. Both excellent sources for inspiration!

3. Have you read the Pioneer Woman's cookbook yet? Wow. Yum. Etc. One of my 2010 goals is going to be to cook quite a few of the recipes in this cookbook. Seriously. Maybe even all of them ... unless they include seafood and then I just can't do it. (And, yes, this would fall in the frivolous category of goals). :)

4. For ye olde blog. Last year was super heavy on the book reviews and that burnt me out on reading big-time. I think it's safe to say that it will quite a while before I pick up any Christian fiction. (And, please hear me say it's not because everything that I read was horrible. It wasn't. There were some wonderful books in there!) This year I'm going to read for me and who knows where that will take me. :) There will definitely be more time spent with classics - N1 has asked to read Peter Pan as our next chapter book, after we finish The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe and I'm looking forward to that since I've never read it either. That said, there will definitely be less book reviews 'round these parts and more memories which is what I started the blog for.

5. A few things that I anticipate participating in:

L. M. Montgomery Reading Challenge

My niece was gifted with the complete Anne series for Christmas and I'm going to read Anne of Green Gables along with her in January and participate in Carrie's challenge. I'm thinking there will be a viewing of the movie after, too. :) (If you have a Kindle, there is a TON of L.M. Montgomery stuff for free on Amazon right now!!)

Photobucket

I have the complete hardback (yellow spine) collection of Nancy Drews and it's been a while since I've revisited. I am going to unofficially play along and just see where I end up.

Well, there's a start. I'm sure I'll hit publish and think of something else I wanted to add, but so be it. Welcome, 2010!

ETA: Heehee. Already thought of something that I was going to put on here ... I am going to see how long I can go in 2010 without eating pizza. No big reason other that I am just tired of it! :)

7 comments:

  1. LOL on the pizza goal!!

    I'm glad you are in on the challenge and yes, while it's nice to review and read books it can also wear one out after awhile. Reading for one's self is such a huge motivator in so many areas.

    I hope you have a GREAT 2010!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am also taking Elizabeth's class. I know we are only 2 days in, but I love it so much already!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the list! I'm also reading Anne and would love to read Nancy Drew again but I don't think this will be the year for that. I hear ya on the pizza. We've had it twice in the last week, and that's not counting the leftovers. New recipes are a nice way to get out of a meal plan rut.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Have you seen the movie Finding Neverland? I loved it...it's about JM Barrie, the author of Peter Pan. You should watch it after you read the book!

    Sorry I missed your birthday...hope it was WONDERFUL!

    ReplyDelete
  5. So glad you told me about free LM Montgomery stuff. Every time I go to the library, all the books are checked out and it's righteously annoying me.

    Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Do you read Elizabeth Dillow's blog? I enjoy her writing so much, and her take on life with three little girls. (We find out what we're having this week. . . so I should soon know if my poor dh is joining the ranks of those men even MORE outnumbered by females. . .)

    I know what you mean about review books burning you out, etc. I don't do that much reviewing, but I enjoy reading so much more if I don't "have to" do it!

    I'm going to check out write.click.scrapbook!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Another series that my boys enjoyed reading was Mary Poppins. :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting!

One of my goals this year has been to diversify my reading. As I've spent the last 17 years homeschooling anywhere from 1-4 kids, I woul...