Wednesday, June 01, 2011

Elementary Reading

Of late, most of my fiction reading is actually pre-reading for N1. Truthfully, I love reading kid fiction so this is no hardship for me. She is more than ready to move beyond some of the beginning chapter books so I'm on the hunt for age appropriate storylines that are a bit longer. I just finished two that I am happy to pass on to her!

The Fairy Tale Detectives (The Sisters Grimm, Book 1) (Bk. 1) The Fairy Tale Detectives by Michael Buckley is not your ordinary fairy tale. This is the story of the Sisters Grimm, decendents from those long-ago Brothers Grimm (the ones that wrote down the famous fairy tales). Only they weren't really fairy tales ... they were real people and the stories really happened. Over time, however, the fairy tale characters needed a bit more supervision as the world became more populated. The Grimm family took on the task of corralling the Everafters (as they are called) into a small town called Ferryport Landing. This is the story of how two sisters, Sabrina and Daphne, discover their heritage into the Grimm family and learn about the Everafters and their responsibilities. N1 is currently reading this first book, and I just finished book 2, The Unusual Suspects. A very original story and series that I am looking forward to reading more of myself.

The Incorrigible Children of Ashton Place: Book I: The Mysterious Howling (Incorrible Children of Ashton Place)Secondly, thanks to a dose of non-drowsy cough medicine at about midnight last night, I was able to finish another book that I spotted from Melissa at Here in the Bonny Glen - The Incorrigible Children of Ashton Place: The Mysterious Howling by Maryrose Wood. Loved this book! The book chronicles the story of Miss Penelope Lumley, a recent graduate of the Swanburne Academy for Poor Bright Females. She is offered the position of governess at Ashton Place, a very large estate out in the country. Her students are three children that the Lord of the estate found in the woods having been raised by wolves! Penelope (with all the gumption that one would find in a character like Anne Shirley) takes on the challenge of training these children. In the process, she works towards unraveling the mystery of their past and the strange behavior of the Lord and Lady of the estate towards the children. I have book 2 in this series on hold at the library and can't wait to continue on with these characters.

Have a great Wednesday. : )

5 comments:

  1. OH! Those both sound SO FUN! I hadn't heard of the first series (must look them up!) and although I'd seen the second book around, I was hoping someone else would get to it and review it first. Glad you did! I'll snatch it next time I see it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. These both sound wonderful, Stephanie! I've seen the Ashton Place series but was put off by the cover. I shall five them a try after your review! Lulu is sort of stuck in easy chapter book mode right now--she has read 6 Cam Jansen books since yesterday, I think.

    ReplyDelete
  3. "give them a try," not "five them a try.". Sheesh!

    ReplyDelete
  4. These sound really fun! I haven't heard of either of them but will keep them in mind for my voracious reader.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous9:22 AM

    Might I suggest My father's Dragon (a trilogy); Mr. Popper's Penguins; The Last of the Really Great Whangdoodles, The Little house Series (they are long, but I found the reading level quite attainable when my girls were her age)

    Oh and for the boy--Harry the Dirty Dog http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_c_1_19?url=search-alias%3Dstripbooks&field-keywords=harry+the+dirty+dog&sprefix=harry+the+dirty+dog

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting!

One of my goals this year has been to diversify my reading. As I've spent the last 17 years homeschooling anywhere from 1-4 kids, I woul...