Tuesday, June 01, 2004

Post-Memorial Day

We had such a great long weekend. Yesterday I literally laid around all day. It was fabulous. I don't know the last time I had a day like that. I laid on the couch and read a fun book, Noelle played a bunch and took a huge 3-hour nap in the afternoon, and Travis mowed the yard and got to play guitar and practice music. Very relaxing for all of us! Some newly married friends also had a cookout last night that we went to - and I didn't have to take anything so I was able to just go and enjoy that as well. We topped off the day by watching the Return of the King - I made it through about half of it before I went to bed. I may try and finish the rest tonight.

I also went back to Weight Watchers this morning - yeah! I really like WW - I was on their program for over a year right before I got married and lost a bunch of weight . . . however, pregnancy has done a number on me. All those folks that said "You'll lose all your preg weight while nursing!" Not so for me anyway. I need additional help!

Saw this on a site and it made me think:

You are given a gift of 1 million dollars (kindly adjust for currency in your location). There are some restrictions on how you can spend some of the money, as follows:

$100,000 must be donated to charity. What charities will you support? Family Life ministries/Campus Crusade, Navigators (my friend Beth is on staff with them in Texas), probably an Alzheimer's organization (my Grandma had that), Mercy Ministries.

$100,000 must be given to one person that you know. To whom do you give it? What would you expect him/her to do with it? Would you put any restrictions on its use? Would it make a difference if you could make the donation anonymously? I have friends that have a two children with some health problems. Their son is a high functioning autistic, and their daughter is severly handicapped. The mom stays home and juggles family life, doctor appointments, insane amounts of medication, etc., etc. I would love to be able to give them some money so they would have help with their daughter in whatever way it could best be used. I would give the money to them anonymously so that they wouldn't feel there were any strings attached.

$100,000 must be given to someone who has recently been in the news. Who gets it? Why? I am so out of touch with the news - I know nothing of what is going on . . . maybe to someone that has lost a family member in our current war.

$100,000 must be spent on a public beautification project. You can build a park, commission artwork, etc. What do you do, and where do you do it? That's easy - bicycle trails all around the city of Nashville. Not just little lined off sections of the street next to cars, but huge sidewalks that go all over. Calgary, Alberta has these and when we lived there my sister and I could get anywhere on our bikes without having to worry about cars. It was great.

$100,000 must be spent on a memorial to someone/something that you have loved and lost. What form does the memorial take? Who is it for? My neice Dasya died at birth. Maybe something for her like a playground.

$50,000 must be spent studying something you have not formally studied. What will you study? Dallas Theological Seminary takes a group of students to Israel every few years and lectures and teaches the entire trip - my husband and I would definitely do that first! Right now, if there was anything left, I would take some counselling classes.

$50,000 must be spent establishing a scholarship. What's it for and who will you name it for?
I would probably, again, give the money to someplace like Dallas Seminary to help with the cost (seminary is EXPENSIVE!) I'm not sure who I would name it after.... I'll have to think on that. But if I could just give it to someone, I'd give it to my husband so he can go to seminary some day.

$50,000 must be given away in a contest. What kind of contest do you hold? I'm so lame - probably an American Idol type contest with Christian music.

$200,000 must be spent doing as many things as you can on your "lifetime to do list." Always wanted to see Alaska? Take a boat trip on the Rhine? What things would you do first? Trips to go on: Israel, safari in Africa, Englad/Ireland, Alaskan cruise, California (I've never seen the SW US), Disney World!!!!

That leaves you with $150,000 of mad money. If the rules say you can't spend that money on things that might be termed "practical," what do you buy on your spending spree? PURSES!, scrapbook supplies, PENS!, music, a piano, a swingset for Noelle, new clothes. Pay to have my hair professionally straightened (because with $150,000 I can pay for a perm if I hate it!) An Odyssey minivan, guitar toys for Travis, Finale (music software)....should I be worried because my list is so long??

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting!

One of my goals this year has been to diversify my reading. As I've spent the last 17 years homeschooling anywhere from 1-4 kids, I woul...