Thursday, March 22, 2007

Sore but Successful

Yesterday was the Spring Fling party! Much fun was had, much food was consumed, and much eggs were decorated! We had 12 kids and 6 adults at the party ... it was crazy and loud and every one had a great time. I thought I would be more tired when it was all over, but it wasn't too bad - I was mostly sore! My legs and feet were aching from standing so much all morning and by the time I sat down late afternoon, I think I could see them swelling. :-)

The menu (for the kids) ended up including pb & j's and ham & cheese sandwiches, fruit kabobs (thanks to an idea from Leah!) and veggies and dip. And, the bunny cake, which was so easy to make! (It actually called for a butter-cream frosting, but I went with chocolate instead). :-)

And, while I had originally had some hesitations over how the egg decorating was going to to with all the kids, it went surprisingly well. We used our big coffee table in our play room and COVERED it with newspaper. Surprisingly, other than a couple sleeves that inadvertently made it into the dye, there were no big spills or messes!



All in all, I think this may become a family tradition for us ... a few things that I'll do differently next year - the first and most important is that I want Travis to be here for the party next time. It just happened that it fit for us to do it while he was out of town on business this week - and I don't really regret that we went ahead and had the party - it was a good distraction for the girls and having their little friends over broke up the monotony of a week with just mama. I just know that he would have also enjoyed being here and watching N1 color eggs and hang out with us.

Today's agenda is going to be super-easy in comparison to yesterday! I have some church work to take care of this a.m., and some house straightening, and when N2 wakes up from her morning nap, we're going to the library for a bit and out for a drive to enjoy some of this beautiful spring weather. My folks have kindly invited me and the girls over for dinner tonight, too, so I'm looking forward to heading over there late this afternoon and letting the grandparents stuff my kids with chicken nuggets and macaroni and cheese and I just may get to put my feet up for a few minutes. :-)

3 comments:

  1. Anonymous2:07 PM

    Growing up I had a cake very similar to that one! What wonderful memories you are creating!

    (My new blog is linked - No Ads!!) :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks like you guys had a great time! Good job, mom. Now go rest. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a fun party. Glad you had a good time.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting!

One of my goals this year has been to diversify my reading. As I've spent the last 17 years homeschooling anywhere from 1-4 kids, I woul...