Thursday, April 16, 2009

Recipe by Request ::: Honey Chicken and Made-Up Mexi-StirFry

Honey Chicken
(Recipe from Kristen at Once Upon a Time)
  • Place 4-6 boneless, skinless chicken breasts in the crock pot and add 1-2 cups of water, not quite covering the chicken.
  • Sprinkle with salt and pepper.
  • Cook on "High" for 3 hours.
  • Drain water.
  • Remove chicken and cut into cubes.
  • Place cubed chicken back into the crock pot.
  • Combine the following and pour over chicken:
    - 2/3 cup melted butter
    - 2/3 cup honey
    - 4 Tablespoons prepared mustard
    - 2 teaspoons salt
  • Turn crock pot on low and cook 1 additional hour.
  • Serve over white rice and accompanied by steamed mixed vegetables and homemade bread.

Any my mexi-stir fry I made the other night ... delicious and totally made up. If I remember right this is what I did:

  • cooked several diced chicken breasts in olive oil until cooked through, sprinkling liberally with taco seasoning throughout the cooking process until they looked like they had enough seasoning. :)
  • added to the cooked chicken/olive oil: diced potatoes (I used red potatoes because it's what I had on hand), black beans (homemade from the freezer), frozen corn, and diced green pepper.
  • covered the pan with a lid and let simmer and cook until the potatoes could be broken apart easily with a fork. Maybe 15-20 minutes?? Check and stir every so often just to make sure that it isn't sticking, but there will probably be enough water/moisture if you use frozen veggies/beans like I did.
  • Serve!

We ate it wrapped up in a flour tortilla with a sprinkling of cheddar cheese, but I also ate just a little bit on my place by itself (since E stole my tortilla!) and it was so yummy with a little bit of ranch dressing drizzled across it. We were out of sour cream or I probably would have used that first ... salsa would have added a nice kick (and will to my leftovers) but that would have made it too spicy for my munchkins.

Anyway, totally cheap and easy and quick! And I must give a tip to Mer because she is the one that inspired me to make stirfry for dinner last night. :)

2 comments:

  1. Anonymous7:40 AM

    Thanks for sharing! I love trying out new recipes. My poor family never knows what to expect on their plates every night. These sound yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my goodness, this sounds delicious! THanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting!

One of my goals this year has been to diversify my reading. As I've spent the last 17 years homeschooling anywhere from 1-4 kids, I woul...