Tuesday, May 12, 2009

Future Kid Classics

Photobucket

Two book posts in one day. :) I was tempted to link up my recent book review of Crocodaddy for a Future Kids Classic, but I really wanted to pick some books my girls LOVE and it is too new for me to claim that. (However, it's still a really cute book).

If you asked my N2 (age 3) about her favorite books, Ella the Elegant Elephant would be at the top of the list. Ella is a very sweet (and very shy!) little elephant. She and her mother move to a new town and when Ella starts her new school, she wears her grandmother's hat for good luck. While some of the students initially make fun of Ella for being different, in the end, it is Ella and her hat that save the day.

There are four books in the series: Ella the Elegant Elephant, Ella Takes the Cake, Ella Sets Sail, and Ella Sets the Stage. My favorite is Ella Sets the Stage - the school is having a talent show and she doesn't know what her talent is. All her friends seem to know exactly what they want to do for the show, but everything she tries is a flop. Little does she know, her talent is taking care of her friends as she runs the talent show! These are adorable books, and I would be remiss if I didn't mention the beautiful artwork. Written and drawn by Carmela and Steven D'Amico, I hope they continue to put out Ella books!

A future kid's pick that N1 has found is The Boy Who was Raising by Librarians. This is the story of Melvin. Melvin goes to the library every day after school and the librarians help him solve all sorts of problems! When he comes to the library after a field trip and needs help identifying eighty-seven specimens of caterpillars, cooties, and creepy crawlies the librarians step in to help! (After they help him catch them when they became loose in the library). The story follows Marvin through grade school and at the end of his educational career, he joins the ranks of some of his favorite people and becomes a library himself. This is a great book to illustrate that the answer to almost anything can be found in a book at the library - especially when you have great help knowing where to look!

For more kids classics for the future, visit Five Minutes for Books!

5 comments:

  1. Anonymous9:58 AM

    I haven't seen either of these books before, but The Boy Who Was Raised by Librarians sounds like a fun read!

    And Ella sounds like a really cute book.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have heard about the second book you mention here-- I'll have to look for it at the library this week!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That first book LOOKS like a classic.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The Boy Who Was Raised by Librarians looks great!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Both these are new to me -- YAY! I was hoping to find some more titles for our next library outing ;)

    ~Michelle @

    In The Life of a Child
    5MFSN

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting!

One of my goals this year has been to diversify my reading. As I've spent the last 17 years homeschooling anywhere from 1-4 kids, I woul...