Friday, May 08, 2009

The Military Wives' Cookbook

I have to say, this has been one of the most fun books that I've been sent to review. The Military Wives' Cookbook is a compilation of over 200 years of tradition, recipes, and remembrances. An exerpt from the book:


Whether you are a military spouse, of whom there are approximately 2.5 million (active, retired, reserve), or simply a patriot, you will love hearing htese stories of courage, commitment, and sacrifice. Presented in menu format style, each set of recipes is accompanied by a story that relates to it and is evocative of the period.


This cookbook is FULL of history and the accompanying recipes. My almost-kindergarten is going to be doing some reading in early American History this coming year ... how much fun would it be to pull out this cookbook and make (or host) an Independence Tea party. Let me share with you the recipes suggested for an Independence Tea:

  • Liberty Tea
  • Edenton Tea Cakes
  • Blueberry Scones and Jam
  • Fresh Strawberries and Blueberries
  • Devonshirt Cream
  • Lemon Curd
  • Apple-Almond Amaretto Tart
  • Shortbread Cookies

Yum!

As for myself, when I was sent this cookbook, I thought long and hard about what recipe to try. I finally settled on Blueberry Scones (although as a disclaimer I did substitute blackberries because I had some in the freezer).

Yes, they were good. :) This cookbook is definitely worth checking out!

On this Military Wives' Appreciation Day, please say thank you to someone you know who is serving alongside their husband! Pattie & Alicia, I thank you on behalf of my family for supporting your husbands so well while they serve. Thank you. :)

3 comments:

  1. YUM!!!!!

    I need to make some goodies for church on Sunday. You just gave me a great idea--scones!

    ReplyDelete
  2. THIS looks AWESOME! I love the idea behind it and have some friends I'd love to gift it with. THanks for the heads up!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks, Steph :) Love you!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting!

One of my goals this year has been to diversify my reading. As I've spent the last 17 years homeschooling anywhere from 1-4 kids, I woul...